Chiropractic Care for Headaches and Migraines
Don’t suffer from headaches and migraines.
Waukee Wellness & Chiropractic Headache Screening
Whether you suffer from tension headaches or migraine headaches there is a direct cause of that headache. If you are presently taking medication for your headaches twice or more weekly it is recommended to be evaluated.
At Waukee Wellness, we don’t know relive headaches by masking the pain, instead we take a direct approach to treat the cause of headaches through a headache and migraine screening. This approach helps each of our patients that come in suffering from headaches and migraines to get relief that isn’t short lived, but instead fixes the cause of headache to begin with.
Headache & Migraine Screening
Goal #1: Find the Cause
We will identify the direct cause of your headache.
Goal #2: Alleviate Pain
We will map out a course of action to alleviate your headaches including their intensity, frequency and duration. This may include correction of joint/muscle imbalances, nutritional imbalances and stress management-relaxation techniques.
Goal #3: Eliminate Headaches for Good
We will implement the plan to help get rid of your headaches all together.
It is possible to live your life headache free.
Call Dr. Wes Nyberg, (515) 978-6661,, at Waukee Wellness & Chiropractic and schedule your complimentary headache screening. Let’s start working on goal #1 Today!
How to Relieve Headaches Naturally
If you regularly suffer from headaches and experience any of the following trigger factors, then it’s quite possible you suffer from tension and/or cervicogenic (pain directly related to the neck) headaches.
Common trigger factors for tension and cervicogenic headaches are:
● Increased mental and physical stress
● Work related
● School related
● Socially/emotionally related
● Increased muscle tension in the neck
● Poor posture
● Muscle strain due to injury
● Joints of the neck not moving in their proper manner- feel “locked up” or “stiff”
● Improper function of the jaw joint- commonly known as TMJ
● Excessive eye muscle strain
Tension and cervicogenic headaches are responsible for 15-20% of all recurrent benign headaches. These headaches develop from prolonged muscle contraction of the neck and head caused by neck dysfunction due to structural and functional abnormalities within the joints, muscles, ligaments and discs of the upper neck region. Improper joint motion, advanced muscle tightness in the neck and exacerbation by a fore-mentioned trigger factor leads to irritation of pain-sensitive nerve fibers manifesting in headache pain.
The majority of tension/cervicogenic headaches occur on both sides of the head. The pressure or band-like sensation is non-pulsating of mild to moderate intensity. There is no aggravation from coughing, sneezing or routine physical activity. These headaches may last from 30 minutes, throughout the day, even up to seven days with proper rest having no affect on the symptoms.
Medication, pain relievers and muscle relaxants may provide temporary relief but it will not correct the cause of the headache. The combination of chiropractic and holistic procedures can provide effective treatment by eliminating the cause of the problem, improper neck joint motion and muscular tightness, resulting in sustained relief.
Diagnostic criteria were established by the International Headache Society for accurate diagnosis of this condition. Criteria include:
- Patient’s complaints- description of pain.
- Doctor’s findings- limited motion of neck; tenderness to touch; changes in neck muscle contour, tone and response to active and passive stretching and contraction.
- X-ray examination revealing movement abnormalities, abnormal posture or a distinct pathology, i.e., fracture, congenital abnormality.
Once this information has been gathered a customized treatment program will be designed and implemented to maximize efficiency and results. The options in the therapeutic program include:
- Chiropractic adjustments of the joints of the neck helping to improve poor joint mobility.
- Therapeutic massage –focuses on strained muscles in the head and neck enhancing proper function.
- Physical rehabilitation- guidance in the stretching and strengthening of the proper muscles.
- Physiological therapy- aiding in muscle relaxation and stress reduction.
- Nutritional counseling- guidance in proper dietary intake to maximize performance of the body.
If you have been diagnosed with tension/cervicogenic headaches and are ready to begin a treatment program or if you have any questions regarding your headaches, contact the Waukee Wellness & Chiropractic at (515) 978-6661 or email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Wes Nyberg, Chiropractor, will assist you in developing an active treatment program to eliminate your headaches.